05 Jul 2015
It’s one of those unwritten rules of life that every new generation of parents feels they will rewrite the rules of parenting, that they will do a better job of raising their children than their parents did, that they have access to a greater body of information so they just know better. Unfortunately that rule gets superseded at times by that other bigger rule “the more things change, the more they remain the same!!” So sooner or later we all end up in many ways doing exactly what our parents did or their parents did before them. Or to put it another way, the context changes but the content does not!!
Some years back for his 25th birthday, our son had forwarded me this chain-mail with the line “Dekho kya kya seekha hai maine!! :)” ( Just check out at all that i have learnt!).
Guilty as charged on many counts there but the kids turned out just fine didn’t they??!! Many of my generation may find echoes from their life in here while new mommies can take heart…it’s ok to be hyper and obsess at times!!
25 REASONS I OWE MY MOTHER
1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE .
‘If you’re going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning.’
2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
‘You better pray that will come out of the carpet.’
3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL .
‘If you don’t straighten up, I’m going to knock you into the middle of next week!’
4. My mother taught me LOGIC.
‘ Because I said so, that’s why.’ (that was my final answer always!!)
5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
‘If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you’re not going to the store with me.’
6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
‘Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you’re in an accident.’
7. My mother taught me IRONY
‘Keep crying, and I’ll give you something to cry about.’
8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
‘Shut your mouth and eat your supper.’
9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
‘Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!’
10. My mother taught me about STAMINA .
‘You’ll sit there until all that spinach is gone.’
11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
‘This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it.’ (the complaint of every teenagers mom)
12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
‘If I told you once, I’ve told you a million times. Don’t exaggerate!’
13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
‘I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.’
14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION.
‘Stop acting like your father!’
15. My mother taught me about ENVY .
‘There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don’t have wonderful parents like you do.’
16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
‘Just wait until we get home.’
17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING .
‘You are going to get it when you get home!’
18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
‘If you don’t stop crossing your eyes, they are going to freeze that way.’
( my addition to that was ‘when the fan stops’!!!)
19. My mother taught me ESP.
‘Put your sweater on; don’t you think I know when you are cold?’ ( he actually asked me once why he had to put it on if i was feeling cold!!)
20. My mother taught me HUMOR.
‘When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don’t come running to me.’
21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
‘If you don’t eat your vegetables, you’ll never grow up.’ (ah what all we have to say to make them eat!!)
22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
‘You’re just like your father.’
23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
‘Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?’
24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
‘When you get to be my age, you’ll understand.’
25. And the best for last: My mother taught me about JUSTICE .
‘One day you’ll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you’ ( this last one i would like to rephrase to ‘so that i can spoil them rotten and care two hoots about parenting them right!!’)